Travel Planner  

The beaches in Mexico are open to the public and free of charge. It is important to be extremely careful swimming as very few beaches have lifeguards. Do not swim alone and keep you eye on the waves as they can be unpredictable. In all beach destinations the water condition flags are posted and should be followed. Do not panic if you feel you are being pulled out to sea. Swim parallel to the beach and usually in 50 ft. conditions will change.

Taxis are very affordable in Mexico. We suggest that you ask the driver before getting in the taxi the fare they will charge.

Age scheme
In Mexico, the adult age is considered at 18-years-old.  This apply for serving drinks. For other services such as car rental the minimum age is 25 years old.

Often during our vacations, our drinking and eating habits are different from what we are used to back home. Besides this, the factors of  weather and altitude affect our bodies greatly. Therefore, during the first day of your vacation try to take is easy so your body can adjust to its temporary environment. Drink lots of fluids during your vacations and bring with you the normal home medicines to help any slight discomfort which may occur, such as headaches or stomach problems. If you are traveling to a beach area be careful with the sun it usually is stronger than it seems. Use sunscreen and take some shade now and then.

Money Exchange
You may use US dollars or Canadian dollars in Puerto Peņasco. However, we suggest that you exchange your money in a bank or an exchange house for the best exchange rate. US dollars are widely accepted in Mexico but usually pesos are the best to use.

(There are exceptions to this, but contact a Mexican Consulate to determine the current exceptions. If you are crossing the border to visit the "Free Zone" (Rocky Point included), you must have the titles to any vehicles you are crossing with. This includes boats, jet skis, water bikes, ATC's, dune buggies, etc. If you are not able to provide legal documentation of the vehicles, you may be turned back at the border.

All foreigners and Mexicans coming from another country are international passengers and have the right to bring the following items, tax free:

  • Items for personal use such as clothing, shoes and toiletries in reasonable amounts according to the length of their trip.
  • One photographic, video, or motion picture camera, including a power source, except professional equipment. Up to 12 rolls of film, or videotapes.
  • Books and magazines
  • One used sports article or piece of equipment for individual use which can be transported by one person.
  • Up to 20 packs of cigarettes or 50 cigars.
  • A maximum of 3 liters (approx. 3 quarts) of wine or alcohol if the passenger is an adult.
  • Medicine for personal use. (with your prescription).
  • Suitcases or bags to transport the items.

If you are legally a resident of another country in addition to the items listed, you may bring into Mexico, tax free:

  • Binoculars
  • A photographic camera
  • A portable television
  • A radio/tape recorder with a maximum of 20 records or tapes.
  • A typewriter or portable computer
  • Up to five used toys (if the passenger is a minor)
  • Fishing tackle
  • A pair of skis
  • Two Tennis rackets
  • A non-motorized boat up to 5 1/2 meters in length or a surfboard, with or without a sail
  • Camping equipment and a tent.

If you are traveling by camper, trailer or motor home you may also bring in:

  • A video cassette recorder(VCR)
  • A bicycle (with or without a motor)
  • Household linens and kitchen utensils
  • Living room and bedroom furniture

You may import additional merchandise valued at up to $1,000.00 by paying a corresponding tax without the intervention of a customs broker. (Contact Mexican Customs for the list)

In addition, you may impose without the services of a customs broker, one computer system as long as its value, added to the above merchandise, (of $1,000.00) does not exceed $4,000.00 U .S. Currency.

To pay the tax, multiply the value of your excess merchandise by 20.84% (if the product originated in the U.S. or Canada).
This information, supplied by Paisano Information at the Mexican Border, is subject to change.

It is forbidden to introduce drugs, fire arms and explosives into Mexico. If you do so, you will be subject to penalties and imprisonment.
VISAS - are obtained at the first building on the right after you clear the border check station at Lukeville. A Visa is required IF you are going beyond Puerto Peņasco (Rocky Point). You will need proof of citizenship such as a U.S. passport, birth certificate, voter's registration etc. (a driver's license is NOT proof of citizenship.)... Passports or Passport Cards are required when returning to the United States.

if you take your dog or cat into Mexico, you are required to have:
1) A U.S. veterinarian's certificate Form 77-043 and
2) A rabies inoculation permit valid within the past 6 months.